Saturday, February 19, 2011

What is Really Going on in Wisconsin?

Video Summary: Chris Hayes and Shock Doctrine author Naomi Klein explain how what is happening in Wisconsin is a clear example of the "shock doctrine", why that's important, and how people are fighting back.

What's the "shock doctrine"? As Naomi Klein explains, it's a highly effective tactic the GOP has been using to get their most unpopular policies made into law. They either take advantage of a real crisis or create a fake crisis and then tell people they have no choice but accept unpopular ideas that tend to only help the super rich.

Why You Should Watch: Because in just 9 minutes you'll understand the situation in Wisconsin and how the super rich are using the "shock doctrine" against you.

Video Length: 9:06

2 comments:

Heidi said...

It's like you were eavesdropping the other evening when I said to Fiona, "I get what they're trying to do, but I don't understand why it would address the budget deficit." The first speaker sounds almost as alarmist as the shock doctors, but he did hit on my sense that this is BIG, and now I get why.

Thanks, Nice Gal. : )

A Nice Gal said...

Thanks Heidi!

It's true some of the speakers get a bit passionate. These are the same people who have made accurate predictions about a number of news events. They were the first to say Iraq didn't have weapons of mass destruction (before we even went to war), the first to predict the housing crisis (when it could have been prevented) and the first to predict the economic downturn (years before it happened). Each and every prediction happened as they said it would.

So I think at this point they're getting kind of frustrated because they see even more bad things happening in the future and they don't know what they have to do to convince people to help stop the damage.